Jobs & Internships
PAID STAFF JOB
Audience Development and Operations Manager
We are looking for a full-time Audience Development and Operations Manager for Tikkun magazine and its consciousness-raising arm, the Network of Spiritual Progressives.
We are looking for someone who wants to transform our world and be part of a visionary organization that seeks to do that. Please read our “Spiritual Covenant with America” at tikkun.org/covenant and Tikkun Magazine at tikkun.org to see if you are deeply aligned with our vision and excited about being part of this dynamic organization. We are seeking applicants who are flexible, energetic, self-starters, technologically adept, comfortable working independently with intricate database software, and creative in advocating for a cause you believe in. The ideal candidate will be able to handle every detail of our organization’s operations, development, and outreach.
As a member of our high-powered team, you will use your strong interpersonal and organizational skills not only to keep our books orderly and our subscription and membership renewals on track, but also to dream up creative new ways to increase the organization’s revenue streams by attracting and retaining new subscribers, members, donors, and advertisers. Setting yearly ambitious goals for increasing audience engagement and revenue, you will draw upon your business sense, marketing skills, and tech savvy in an attempt to increase subscription and membership numbers by 20% within your first year.
The Audience Development and Operations manager works closely with the Communications Manager to interface daily with our subscribers, members, and broader community of supporters. In this role, you will also work with the magazine’s executive editor, Michael Lerner, to ensure operations, office maintenance, and bookkeeping functions run effectively. This position also involves working with the Executive Director of the Network of Spiritual Progressives to help strategize ways to build the network, fundraise to support our work, do outreach, and connect with members, as well as occasional event planning work for the Network of Spiritual Progressives and for Beyt Tikkun, the synagogue led by Rabbi Lerner. You will also perform other office tasks at the discretion of the Executive Director.
While we prefer a full-time person, we would consider some amazing go-getter for a half-time position if she or he could manage to do this without getting overwhelmed. Given the amount of in-house training required for this position, we are ideally looking for someone who expects to be able to stay with us for multiple years.
● Affinity for the social justice orientation of our organization
● Strong interest in marketing and business strategy
● Detail-oriented and energetic approach to data entry and mailings
● High level of proficiency with QuickBooks, Microsoft Word, Excel, email, and database management programs or the ability to quickly learn these skills and the willingness to put in the extra time to do sos
● High level of proficiency with content management systems such as WordPress
● Knowledge of HTML or ability and willingness to learn to work with it
● Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
● Enthusiasm for fundraising and development; ideally, experience with membership coordination, social media promotion, audience development, bequest/estate programs, foundation funding and grants, and/or grassroots fundraising
● Familiarity with Salsa or similar online fundraising platforms and knowledge of current fundraising best practices
● Ability to figure out what needs to be done and work independently
● Ability to rapidly learn new software and online applications
● Strong work ethic
● Ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating adaptability and flexibility.
● Interest in the magazine and Network of Spiritual Progressives and ability to speak and write effectively about its content, vision, values, projects and programs.
- Generate and execute creative plan to increase subscription and membership numbers by 20% within your first year
- Complex financial projections in Excel
- Offer advice on budgeting decisions
- Perform routine bookkeeping functions
- Research potential grants
- Plan and execute online and direct mail fundraising campaigns
- Manage monthly subscription and membership mailings
- Help subscribers and members who call the office phone
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail
- Manage donor relations and database
- Maintain promotional materials
- Keep tabs on the office supplies inventory
As a grassroots-funded nonprofit, we are able to offer $40-$45k/year plus health benefits.
Please email a resume, a cover letter, and two references to jobs.tikkun [AT] gmail.com. Please tailor your cover letter to say what draws you to this position in particular and to explain why you are capable of doing first-rate work in this capacity. If we are interested in your application, we will contact you. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
VOLUNTEER AND INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
We have many volunteer and internship opportunities. We are looking for students, recent college graduates, and retirees who would like to work on healing and repairing the world now (tikkun olam). Also welcome: mid-career professionals who want to take a year off to consider their options and may find an internship here of value. Most internships last a minimum of three months (preferably longer), and we prefer applicants who can work fifteen to twenty hours a week. We accept applications on a rolling basis for summer, spring, and fall internships.
We are also in need of volunteers who can offer even a regular couple of hours a week from home, online, to help us rebuild our web archive, and volunteer section editors to work from home. Click on the links below for information and application instructions.