Tikkun Turns 25: It’s Not Too Late to Come or Donate in Honor of the Magazine and Our Honorees
On March 14 we celebrate at the Pauley Ballroom of the Student Union Building at the University of California, Berkeley from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. with music, poetry, and speeches. Don’t miss the evening’s talks from our founders Rabbi Michael Lerner and Nan Gefen, as well as from associate editor Peter Gabel. We will also bestow the prestigious Tikkun Award personally to:
- Judge Richard J. Goldstone (author of UN human rights reports on Bosnia, Rwanda, and Gaza)
- Congressman Raul Grijalva (a leader of the struggle for immigrant rights in the U.S. House of Representatives)
- Naomi Newman (a cofounder of A Traveling Jewish Theatre)
- Rabbi Marcia Prager (director of the Jewish Renewal rabbinic training program and author of A Path of Blessing)
- C.K. Williams (winner of the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry), and
- Sheikh Hamza Yusuf (Muslim theologian and a founder of Zaytuna College).
Register online or by calling 510-644-1200 (not on the weekend) between 9:30 a.m-5 p.m. Pacific Time.
IF YOU CANNOT COME: Please help us. Make a tax-deductible donation to Tikkun online or by a check to Tikkun: 2342 Shattuck Ave, #1200, Berkeley, CA 94704.
Our first issue was released on May Day in 1986 and we’ve never missed a deadline from then till now. We’ve published over 2,000 authors, giving unknowns a prominent position (and many of them today are famous, some with the help of that springboard) and also many famous writers, from Woody Allen and Annie Dillard to Marge Piercy and Howard Zinn. We’ve been a leading voice for human rights, nonviolence, social justice, and environmental sanity — and have been a champion of the rights of and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians. And we’ve tried to convince liberals and progressives to abandon their religiophobia and elitism, and to speak to the American people in a language of the heart and not merely in wonkish policy terms. Our magazine has been one of the most highly respected literary and intellectual journals in the world of ideas. Please join us to celebrate!