If you’re moved by the vision of peace and justice expressed in Embracing Israel/Palestine, the following are some actions you can take to support the cause:
- Start a study group or reading group to mobilize your friends and family.
- Reach out to your locally elected officials and let them know why you think the U.S. should support the Israeli and Palestinian peace movements rather than support the right wing in the Jewish world.
- Join a grassroots organization that is working to promote peace and reconciliation. Some of Rabbi Lerner’s favorites include Churches for Middle East Peace, Christian Peacemaker Teams, Holy Land Trust, Rabbis for Human Rights, Peace Now, Gush Shalom, The Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions, the Islamic Society of North America, and, of course, his own organizations: Tikkun magazine and The Network of Spiritual Progressives.
- Join a peace-oriented lobby organization such as J Street or Jewish Voice for Peace.
- Boycott products produced in the West Bank settlements. A list of such products can be found here.
- Join an interfaith dialogue group or an Israeli-Palestinian dialogue group. If there’s not one available in your area, consider starting your own.
- Sign Rabbi Lerner’s petition for the United Nations to recognize both Palestine and Israel.
- Convince your local bookstore to carry Embracing Israel/Palestine and organize a reading group.
- Sponsor a speaking event for Rabbi Lerner at your church, synagogue, mosque, university, or community organization. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.)
- Challenge the mainstream media to review Embracing Israel/Palestine and to invite Rabbi Lerner to comment as one of their media experts. (Contact email@example.com for sample letters that you can use to create your own letter.)