Join Our Movement
In the tradition of the ancient Hebrew prophets, Tikkun has been a strong critic of any unethical government or powerful group. At the same time we have espoused utopian dreams, firmly holding that every amazing historical advance towards a more equal and caring society has been dismissed as unrealistic and utopian right up to the moment it happened, at which point it has been deemed inevitable. Neither view is right. These advances would not have happened without activists who believed the most realistic thing to do was to dream big. In a great current example, the 2011 uprisings in the Arab world owe much to small numbers of young Tunisians and Egyptians who studied nonviolent organizing. Nonviolent change requires study, practice, spiritual depth, friends, and bold dreams and initiatives: in short, movements.
Our movement operates at several levels, from ideas to action. You can join in at any level, or all of them:
- Ideas: Read the web magazine, our NSP website, and our blog. Be open to how different a spiritual progressive worldview is to a secular left or liberal outlook on the one hand, and a conservative spiritual or religious one on the other. Two good places to start are our Core Vision and our Spiritual Covenant With America. The latter spells out the differences succinctly.
- Stay connected with us: Sign up for Tikkun Mail. These emails include our weekly newsletter, which offers links to our latest online articles, digital art galleries, spiritual wisdom of the week, and Tikkun Daily blog posts — not to mention crucial action alerts and editorials on pressing current events.
- Support our work: Subscribe to the magazine, become a member of the Network of Spiritual Progressives, or donate. Buy our books, give them to friends, give someone an NSP membership. We have no major financial backers and are greatly in need of your help.
- Volunteer or intern with us: Click here for details. You can help by doing as little as a couple of hours a week online from your home, helping us to improve our archive, or as much as coming to Berkeley, California to help us in our office.
- Write for us: Read our submission guidelines for the magazine and click here if you are interested in blogging with us on Tikkun Daily.
- Build the NSP and its Campaigns: Work with us on one of our current campaigns, for a Global Marshall Plan or for an ESRA–Environmental and Social Responsibility Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Connect with other NSP members in your area and see what you can do. Create a spiritual progressive caucus in your political party.
- Spiritual Path: Our members and friends include people from various religions, and atheists and agnostics who share the concerns that we call spiritual though they may not. Our ideas and articles on Rethinking Religion and Spiritual Wisdom (see the home page) and our ideas for alternative holiday celebrations may help with your spiritual path. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, or are passing through, please do visit Beyt Tikkun, Rabbi Lerner’s synagogue without walls, for an experience of a vibrant spiritual community.