Jobs & Internships
Operations Manager (part-time)
We are looking for a part-time Operations Manager for Tikkun and the Network of Spiritual Progressives.
The Operations Manager of our small yet high-powered nonprofit organization handles every detail of our operations, from the most high-level to the most mundane. It’s not unusual for our Operations Manager to do complex financial projections in Excel, offer advice on budgeting decisions, replace printer ink cartridges, and stuff hundreds of envelopes all in the same day. To be a candidate for this job, you must feel equally comfortable with all of these tasks.
We are seeking applicants who are flexible, technically advanced, and comfortable working independently with intricate database and accounting programs. As our Operations Manager, you will use your strong interpersonal and organizational skills to answer phones, handle incoming and outgoing mail, file records, send magazine and membership renewals and thank you letters, and keep the office internet, phones, and general building facilities up and running. Other responsibilities will include performing routine bookkeeping procedures; maintaining membership, email, and subscription databases; maintaining promotional materials; and keeping tabs on the office supplies inventory. You will also perform other office tasks at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Please note that this is an administrative position, not an editorial one. We are looking for candidates who are serious about building a career in nonprofit administration and in the business side of the publishing industry. Given the amount of complex in-house training required for this position, we are ideally looking for someone who expects to be able to stay with us for multiple years.
- Affinity for the social justice orientation of our organization
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, email, and database management programs
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to figure out what needs to be done and work independently
- Ability to learn new software and online applications
- Strong work ethic
- Work well in a fast paced work environment, able to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Two to four years experience in office administration
- Knowledge of basic accounting practices and procedures
- QuickBooks experience on the job: You will need to use QuickBooks to enter and pay bills, send out customer invoices, keep accurate accounting records, produce reports, and discuss with senior management. You will also be responsible for maintaining records of client accounts and contacts.
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, describe your background in office management and bookkeeping and explain why you are capable of doing first-rate work in this capacity. If we are interested in your application, we will contact you. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
We have many volunteer and internship opportunities. We are looking for students, recent college graduates, and retirees who would like to work on healing and repairing the world now (tikkun olam). Also welcome: mid-career professionals who want to take a year off to consider their options and may find an internship here of value. Most internships last a minimum of three months (preferably longer), and we prefer applicants who can work fifteen to twenty hours a week. We accept applications on a rolling basis for summer, spring, and fall internships.
We are also in need of volunteers who can offer even a regular couple of hours a week from home, online, to help us rebuild our web archive, and volunteer section editors to work from home. Click on the links below for information and application instructions.